Chinese Country Style Pork Ribs
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 30 minutes standing time
Cook Time: 45 minutes (pressure cooker method) or 5-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low (slow cooker method)
- 4 pounds boneless country style pork ribs, from pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon salt, coarse ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In the insert of the pressure cooker, whisk together the hoisin, honey, soy sauce, sherry and cayenne. Add the ribs and toss to coat. Place lid on top and lock. Program to cook 20 minutes at high pressure.
- Natural release pot for 10 minutes, then unlock lid. Transfer ribs to a bowl. Select sauté on the pressure cooker and bring liquid to a boil. Let cooking liquid simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Skim off fat from the surface.
- At the same time, preheat a grill or broiler. Brush the ribs with the sauce and grill for 3-5 minutes or broil until browned and crisp. If broiling, place ribs on a baking sheet, brush with sauce and broil 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer ribs onto a cutting board, cut into serving pieces, top with scallions and serve.
- For slow cooker method, follow directions as listed above, but cook ribs in a slow cooker for 5-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low. Reduce sauce in a saucepan over high heat on a stove. Follow directions for grilling or broiling.
- Serve with rice, cucumber salad and fortune cookies.