Roasted Pork Shoulder with Porcini Rub
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 to 2 1/2 hours
- One 3 1/2 to 4 pound Swift Premium® Boneless Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325º F. For rub, process mushrooms, garlic salt, thyme, and pepper into a fine powder in a spice grinder or mini food processor.
- Pat roast dry with paper towels. Trim and discard any outer fat from roast. If roast is not cut, make 2 horizontal cuts through the side of the roast, cutting to, but not through, opposite side. Open meat. Rub each cut area with 2 1/2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture. Close roast to form its original shape; tie closed with string at 2-inch intervals.
- Rub roast with oil, then rub with remaining mushroom mixture. Place roast on rack in shallow pan. Tightly cover pan with heavy foil. Roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted near center reads 165°F.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let pork rest for 3 minutes. Remove string and carve pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices.