Italian-Style Pork Picnic
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 3 3/4 to 4 hours
- One 8 to 9 pound Swift Premium® Skin-On, Bone In Pork Shoulder Picnic
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- Combine fennel seed, celery seed, rosemary, oregano, garlic salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Pat pork dry with paper towels. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut 20 to 25 incisions, each about 3/4 inch wide and 1 inch deep, into the meat side of roast. Stuff with about 1 1/2 tablespoons spice mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, score pork skin and fat at 1-inch intervals in a crosshatch-diamond pattern, taking care not to cut into meat. Rub olive oil and remaining spice mixture over entire roast. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place roast, skin side up, on rack in large shallow roasting pan. Combine broth and wine; add to pan. Tightly cover pan with heavy foil. Roast for 3 hours. Uncover and continue roasting 45 to 60 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted near center and not touching bone reads 185°F to 190°F, basting with juices every 20 minutes.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let pork rest for 10 minutes. To serve, remove and discard skin and top layer of fat. Carve pork and arrange on platter to serve.*
- *For Italian-Style Pork Sandwiches, while meat is hot, remove and discard skin, fat, and bone. Shred or chop meat. Mix meat together to evenly distribute spices. Serve meat either hot or cold in crusty Italian rolls with sandwich fixings, such as stone-ground mustard, provolone cheese, tomato, and/or onion.