Provence Pork Picnic with Potatoes
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 5 1/4 hours
- One 9 to 10 pound Swift Premium® Skin-On, Bone In Pork Shoulder Picnic
- 5 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons herbs de Provence
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Pat pork dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, cut 20 to 25 slits, each about 1 inch deep, through skin and fat on roast. Insert the garlic slivers into the slits.
- Combine herbs de Provence, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Rub roast with 1 tablespoon oil, then herb mixture.
- Place roast, skin side up, on rack in large shallow pan. Add 1/2 cup broth to pan. Tightly cover pan with heavy foil. Roast for 3 1/4 hours. Uncover and continue roasting
- Add remaining 1/2 cup broth to pan. Toss potatoes and onion with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Arrange vegetables evenly around roast.
- Continue roasting pork with vegetables, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted near center and not touching bone reads 170 to 175°F. and potatoes are tender, tossing vegetables with juices halfway through roasting.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let pork rest for 3 minutes. Return pan with potatoes to oven to keep warm.
- To serve, remove and discard skin and top layer of fat. Carve pork and arrange on platter with vegetables.